If you believe a GA police officer violated your rights, you may wish to report him or her for their act of misconduct. But who do you report this to? Should you contact the department he or she works for or is there another agency that is responsible for handling complaints involving officer misconduct? In this article, we are going to address these questions as well as provide you with additional information as to who you can contact to receive help with filing your complaint.


Agencies in GA that Handle Police Brutality Complaints


police brutality attorneys in Georgia

If you believe a GA police officer violated one or more of your rights, a GA police brutality lawyer can help you decide which agency is best for you to file a complaint with to recognize the officer for his or her misconduct.

When an officer of the law, and this includes those that patrol the streets as well as those that work in the jails, violate a person’s rights, that individual has the right to file a complaint with one or more of the following agencies:


  1. The police department the officer is employed with. Every police department in the State of GA likely has their own process that must be followed when it comes to filing a complaint involving an officer. You can contact that department to learn more about the steps you must take to properly report an officer for misconduct. Generally, the department will conduct an investigation to determine the validity of your accusation. While the outcome of some investigations results in disciplinary action being taken against an officer, there are plenty of instances where an officer who violated a person’s rights is not reprimanded in any way.


  1. Georgia Bureau of Investigation Office of Professional Standards (OPS). The OPS is “responsible for investigating allegations of misconduct made against GBI employees.” Once a complaint is received, the office will review it and determine whether it is legitimate or lacks merit. If you are interested in contacting the OPS to report an officer for engaging in an act that constitutes as police brutality, the agency’s contact information is shared down below:


OPS Director Fred Mays
3121 Panthersville Road
Decatur, GA 30034
Phone: 404-270-8525
Fax: 404-270-8521


  1. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). When an officer uses his or her power to violate an individual’s rights, the DOJ is available to accept complaints at the following address when the behavior was criminal in nature.


Criminal Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., PHB
Washington, D.C. 20530


You also have the option of contacting the United States Attorney’s Office (USAO) in your district or the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). If you would like to find an FBI office in your area now to report a GA police officer, click here. In the event your complaint involves a civil matter, you can send your written complaint to the DOJ at the address listed above but be sure that it is addressed to the following division:

Federal Coordination and Compliance Section

Civil Rights Division


police brutality lawyers in GA

Victims of police brutality sometimes choose to file suit against the office in an effort to recover compensation for their pain and suffering. Contact a police brutality lawyer in GA to see whether filing a lawsuit would be in your best interest.

Before you file a complaint against a GA police officer with either of the above-mentioned agencies, you are encouraged to contact Jacqueline A. Gibson & Associates PC to discuss your matter with a GA police brutality attorney. If you suffered physical or psychological injuries, you may even go a step further and file suit against the officer in an effort to recover compensation for your damages and/or losses.


Jacqueline A. Gibson & Associates PC is located at:


235 Peachtree Street Northeast, Suite 400

Atlanta, GA 30303


Website: www.jacquelinegibsonatlaw.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *