If an individual is a victim of biased-based policing in Indiana, they can report their bad encounter with the officer’s department. Biased-based policing is when an officer uses a person’s race, gender, or even their socio-economic status as their basis for making a stop or an arrest. Because biased-based policing is a prohibited practice in law enforcement, many police departments have established policies to prevent their officers from engaging in such behavior.


Reporting Biased-Based Policing in Indiana


While biased-based policing can be reported to a police officer’s department, there are additional steps a victim can take to recognize the officer for their act of misconduct.


  1. File a formal complaint with the department.

Reporting the incident is one thing but filing a formal complaint is another. Formal complaints are generally handled by the Internal Affairs Unit within a police agency. If the Internal Affairs Unit believes that an individual has a valid complaint, it will conduct an investigation. This may or may not result in disciplinary action being taken against the officer.


  1. Hire a police brutality lawyer.

If biased-based policing resulted in an individual suffering physical or psychological injuries, they may want to consider retaining an Indiana police brutality lawyer. For instance, if a person was stopped because of their race and they exercised their right to remain silent which led to an officer becoming violent toward them, they could benefit from retaining an attorney. In order for an officer to stop an individual, they need to have reasonable suspicion or probable cause to do so.


Police officers cannot initiate contact with someone because of their skin color or the neighborhood they live in.

While the officer may have provided the individual with a random excuse for why they were being stopped, they will have to provide a more detailed explanation to an Indiana police brutality attorney if the victim decides to take civil action against him/her.


Are victims of biased-based policing entitled to compensation?


Victims of police misconduct may be entitled to recover compensation if they can prove the officer engaged in an inappropriate or unlawful act and they suffered injuries as a result. Before an individual can be awarded compensation, however, they will need to file a civil lawsuit against the officer and/or their department.

In addition, they may be required to notify the department of their intent to sue before they initiate the lawsuit process. Because there are many steps a victim of police brutality must take if they want to successfully sue a police officer or department, they are encouraged to retain an Indiana police brutality attorney who can explain what they are and guide them through the process.

To get connected with a police brutality lawyer in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, or any other city in the State of Indiana, contact USAttorneys.com today.