Being harmed at the hands of a police officer can take a toll on you mentally and should not be overlooked. If you were hurt by an officer your first course of action should be to get in touch with an attorney in Phoenix, Arizona. A lawyer will let you know what the next steps are best suited for your specific case, especially if you were harmed while committing a crime or during an arrest.

Anyone who is hurt by a law enforcement personnel should file a complaint with the police department that the officer works for. Once again, it is advised to speak to a lawyer before making your complaint because they will advise you on what you should include in your complaint, and what information is not necessary to mention.

An officer can be penalized for causing injury to another person intentionally or due to neglectfulness on their part. Some examples of police behaviors that are not allowed by the law include: false arrest, entering a home without a warrant, the use of excessive force, abusing a suspect, and failing to follow proper police conduct. If an officer has misbehaved in any of these ways, they may be held legally accountable, or at least accountable by their police department.

According to Federal law, any officer that willfully causes harm to a person by violating their constitutional rights has committed a crime, and they should be penalized for that crime even though they have a specific amount of immunity with the law.

When should I call a personal injury lawyer in Phoenix Arizona?

If an officer has caused harm or loss to you in one way or the other, you must stand up for your rights. Since officers have so much legal authority you must take the help of a lawyer who is experienced in dealing with similar cases to yours.

If a police officer carries out any of the following, you should call a lawyer as soon as possible:

  • Physical assault
  • Failure to intervene in a dangerous situation
  • Ignoring a serious risk of harm
  • Sexual misconduct
  • Racial profiling

A lawyer will help you file your complaint against the officer to the Federal Department of Justice and they will help you prove that the officer willfully deprived you of a right while acting under the color of law. Injuries caused by a confrontation with an officer can be expensive to treat and you should not have to deal with the damages on your own, especially when the officer was guilty of violating your rights.

Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer at The Schmidt law Group today to discuss what legal route is best to pursue for your specific case.

You can reach us at:

3770 N. 7th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85014

Tel: (602) 282-0047
Fax: (602) 865-8123

E-mail: [email protected]