Looking for Acclaimed Police Brutality Lawyers in New Jersey? You’ve Come to the Right Place

Did you have a violent encounter with a police officer? Did an officer use excessive force? Were you injured? Did a police officer wrongfully shoot and kill a loved one? Unfortunately, there are hundreds of incidents across the U.S. in which police use excessive force or abuse their power and mistreat a detainee or arrestee.

What is Police Brutality?

In most cases, interactions between citizens and police occur without issue, but it isn’t unusual for some interactions to take a dangerous turn. In the heat of the moment, an officer can cross the line and use more force than is necessary.Excessive uses of force can entail a range of behaviors that are harmful, negligent and abusive including arresting someone under false pretenses or body slamming a suspect.

Excessive Use of Force Can Include:

False arrest

Physical abuse including body slamming, hitting, punching and kicking

Sexual abuse such as trading sexual favors for dropped charges

Using a taser more times than needed to subdue a suspect

Shooting an unarmed or subdued suspect

Only a small number of police stops involve excessive use of force, but those rare incidents can have tragic consequences resulting in severe injuries and sometimes death. Excessive use of force complaints are usually dealt with through the following means:

Internal affairs complaint

Criminal charges

Civil lawsuit

Unfortunately for victims of police brutality, conviction rates are low. According to Mapping Police Violence.com, 99 percent of criminal charges arising out of excessive use of force complaints do not result in the conviction of police officer.

Sometimes a police brutality victim’s best chance of getting justice is to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim and seek compensation. Proving a civil claim is easier and allows the victim to recover compensation to cover their medical expenses and other economic damages.

If you do decide to file a civil claim, you need to act fast because you have limited time to file your claim with one of the agencies listed below. You can send inquiries about excessive use of force to the following addresses:

Office of The Attorney General

RJ Hughes Justice Complex

25 Market Street, Box 080

Trenton, NJ 08625-0080



Division of Criminal Justice Web site

P.O. Box 080

Trenton, NJ 08625-0080


Division of State Police

P.O. Box 7068

West Trenton, NJ 08628-7068


Hire a Police Brutality Lawyer in New Jersey

If you decide you want to seek compensation for because an officer used excessive force, you need to a legal expert on working on your claim. Let USAttorneys.com help you locate a police brutality lawyer near your New Jersey location to see if you are entitled to compensation. You can call and set up a consultation to learn what options you have to recover your medical expenses and emotional distress. Get the advice of one of our outstanding police brutality lawyers before making any decisions about your case. Call and set up a consultation today.