When an officer arrests a person unjustly then the person has every right to litigate against the officer. They can reach out to a police brutality attorney in Henderson, NV to start putting their case together in order to win back as much compensation as possible for the pain they have suffered.

When a person takes legal action against an officer they can lay charges depending on what their exact situation was.

A victim of police brutality can lay charges on the offending officer for:

  • Use of excessive force
  • Unnecessary use of deadly arms
  • Sexual assault
  • Racial profiling
  • Participation in criminal activity
  • Abuse of authority
  • Violation of the constitution

A lawyer can help a person figure out which charges apply in a person’s specific case and they can help a person get started on the legal process.

What can I get compensated for in a trial against police brutality?

If a person was attacked by an officer and they suffered health problems afterward or they suffered any sort of harm they can claim the following:

  • Punitive damages
  • Compensatory damages

Compensatory damages are basically the cost of one’s medical bills and other financial compensation they would require to recover from the harm the officer caused them. Punitive damages, on the other hand, are financial compensation awarded to the victim as a way to punish the officer because of how much harm he has done. Punitive damages act as a penalty that the offending officer has to pay.

Punitive damages are generally given alongside actual damages. However, if a person wants to win the punitive damages then they have to be able to prove that the officer’s actions were willful and of his own accord and that the officer wanted to truly harm the individual. Punitive damages are only awarded in about 5% of all court cases.

Even though the giving out of punitive charges is pretty rare, simply having the threat of punitive charges during a trial can generally lead to an individual receiving more money for their compensatory or actual damages.

The more severely a person suffered at the hands of an officer, the more likely that they will be given more compensation. Compensation for actual damages is often granted, especially when a person has suffered physical injuries. Punitive damages are also not out of the question, especially if the officer acted in an openly hateful manner.

Get in touch with a lawyer

Calling a lawyer is one of the first moves a person should make after they have been faced with excessive force or unjust behavior from an officer. The constitution protects an individual’s rights and protects a person from being investigated unfairly and from facing physical harm as well.  A police officer can be taken to court for hurting a person in such a manner and depending on how much damage they caused to their victim they will be penalized accordingly.





0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *