Cedar Rapids, IA police brutality attorneys

Did you suffer a concussion or other type of injury during your arrest? Find out if you have a viable case by speaking with a Cedar Rapids, IA police brutality attorney.

Although officers are trained to de-escalate situations so that little to no harm is done to the suspects they come in contact with, there are several on the force who prefer to resort to violence in an effort to gain control over a situation. While some instances do require an officer to apply some level of force, most can avoid applying any if only they would follow the procedures their department has outlined in their policies.

If an officer in Cedar Rapids, IA caused you to suffer a concussion during the time of your arrest and the level of force he/she applied was unnecessary, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against the officer and/or their department in an effort to recover compensation for the pain and suffering your encounter has left you with. When a person suffers a concussion, their symptoms can range from those that are minor to others that are much more serious. Concussions have the ability to not only affect your cognitive abilities, but also your physical condition and your mood.


Some symptoms of a concussion include:


  • Difficulty thinking clearly
  • Feeling slowed down
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty remembering new information
  • Headaches
  • Fuzzy or blurry vision
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Sensitivity or noise or light
  • Balance issues
  • Feeling tired
  • Nervous
  • Irritable
  • Trouble falling asleep or sleeping more than usual


[Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention].


Not only can a concussion affect your ability to complete your day to day tasks, but your symptoms could last from a few days to even a few months depending on how serious your condition is. Not only can this impact your ability to work and provide for your family, but it can also affect your relationship with your loved ones if you are constantly experiencing pain, mood swings, etc.


Do I need to hire an IA police brutality attorney to file a civil lawsuit against a Cedar Rapids, IA police officer?


Cedar Rapids, IA police brutality attorneys

If an officer injured you during your arrest and you wish to file a civil lawsuit against him/her, a police brutality attorney in Cedar Rapids can help you accomplish this.

Although you may have been guilty of committing a crime which justifies the officer making the arrest, there is no need for him/her to apply such force that has caused you to suffer a concussion given you were complying with their commands and weren’t threatening their life. Because most individuals who suffer an injury after coming in contact with a police officer could have avoided the abuse had the officer handled the situation accordingly, they can file a civil suit in an effort to collect compensation for their damages. Damages might include payment for pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages, and more.

Now, before you attempt to file a civil suit against the officer on your own, you are advised to contact the Cedar Rapids, IA police brutality attorneys at Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. When a person attempts to recognize an officer for misconduct, it is essential that they have retained a lawyer who can protect their interests and inform them of their rights. To get connected with an attorney now who is ready to help you, contact this firm at 319-393-1020 to schedule your initial consultation.


You can reach Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. at:


1921 51stStreet NE

Cedar Rapids, IA 52402

Phone: (319) 393-1020

Fax: (319) 393-4000

Website: www.eellsandtronvold.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *