If you were injured by a Fort Walton Beach, FL police officer while being detained and you believe the level of force that was applied was considered excessive, you may have a viable claim against the officer and/or the department. Now, there are a few ways you can hold an officer or the department they work for accountable for the excessive force you believe was applied. The first way is to file a complaint with the police department.


Filing a Complaint with the Fort Walton Beach Police Department


If you believe a Fort Walton Beach police officer violated your rights while being arrested or detained which led to you suffering physical and/or psychological injuries, you can file a complaint with the department either over the phone, in person, or via mail. Once your complaint has been submitted, it will be forwarded to the appropriate division commander through the chain of command, according to the department’s website. The complaint will then be investigated to determine if corrective action needs to be taken. This might include counseling, training, punitive actions, and/or policy review and revision.

After the investigation has been completed, you should receive a letter that states the disposition.

Another way a person can hold a Fort Walton Beach police officer accountable for the injuries they suffered is by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the officer, the police department, and/or the city. When filing a lawsuit that stems from excessive force, it is extremely important that you retain a Fort Walton Beach, FL personal injury lawyer who will help prepare your case and defend your rights. When a person decides to sue an officer or another party for the excessive force that was applied, not always will an officer face disciplinary action for their behavior.

However, it is important to note that even if an officer isn’t disciplined in a way you believe is fair, that doesn’t necessarily mean a favorable outcome won’t be reached.

Although officers sometimes get away with injuring civilians or suspects as a result of applying excessive force, that doesn’t necessarily mean a victim will walk away empty-handed. In fact, if you hire a skilled Fort Walton Beach, FL personal injury attorney such as those at Browning Law Firm, you could wind up being awarded compensation to settle the case. This compensation might cover medical bills, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more.

If you would like to learn more about whether you have a viable case against a police officer in Fort Walton Beach, FL and what your case might be worth, contact Browning Law Firm to speak with a Fort Walton Beach, FL personal injury lawyer now.


Browning Law Firm can be reached at:


418 Racetrack Rd. NE, Ste B

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547

Phone: 850-344-1736

Website: www.browninglawfirm.com