Although police officers in Denver play an essential role in keeping the roadways and neighborhoods in Colorado safe, they sometimes abuse or overstep their authority while performing their duties. Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to innocent individuals suffering injuries and/or having their rights violated. When a Denver, CO police officer abuses their authority and causes someone else to suffer physical or psychological harm, they can be held accountable for their misconduct.

So, how can this be accomplished?

If an individual feels they have been mistreated by an officer who is either employed with the Denver Police Department or the Denver Sheriff’s Office, they can file a complaint with the Office of the Independent Monitor. An individual may also be able to file a complaint directly with the department. Once a complaint has been filed, it will need to be investigated to determine if the officer in question has violated a law or department policy.

If an officer has been found guilty of a violation, their conduct shall be categorized as either A, B, C, D, E, or F, with F representing the worst type of act. For an officer’s misconduct to be categorized as an F, it means he/she engaged in inappropriate behavior that resulted in serious bodily injury or death to another or “constitutes a willful and wanton disregard of Department values,” according to the Denver Police Department Discipline Handbook.


What are some potential punishments officers face for engaging in acts of misconduct?


If a Denver police officer is found to be guilty of misconduct, the department may choose to:

  • Suspend them temporarily.
  • Require them to undergo training.
  • Reduce their rank or grade.
  • Reassign them to a different area of the department.
  • Terminate them from employment.
  • Charge them with one or more criminal offenses.


How else can an individual hold a Denver, CO officer accountable for injuring them and/or violating their rights?


An individual can bring a civil lawsuit against an officer, the police department, and even the City of Denver if they are a victim of excessive force or had one or more rights of theirs violated. When an individual decides to sue an officer or another party, they can request that they are awarded compensation for various damages including:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of earning capacity


Sometimes cases of this nature are settled out of court while other times, they may need to go to trial.

If someone suffered injuries during their encounter with a Denver officer because he/she applied excessive force or had one or more of their rights violated, they can contact the Denver, CO police brutality lawyers at Bryan & Terrill Law, PLLC to learn more about the legal remedies that might be available to them.


Bryan & Terrill Law, PLLC can be reached at:


333 W. Hampden Avenue, #420B

Englewood, CO 80110

Phone: 720-923-2333