One of the first things drivers are required to do after engaging in a collision in Michigan is to contact the police so that a report can be written up. This report should include things like personal information for the drivers who were involved, details regarding the crash, and who was at fault. These reports are often used by insurance company adjusters who are trying to determine if a claim should be approved and for how much.

But, what if the police report contains an error that could cause the accident victim’s claim to be denied? What if it was already denied because of it?

Well, if an accident victim discovered their accident report contains an error, they can attempt to correct it by contacting the police department. Although Michigan does follow no-fault insurance laws, meaning a driver can still file a claim under their policy regardless of who is blamed for an accident, they may have a hard time recovering additional compensation from the other driver’s insurer. The reason being is that the company likely won’t want to pay for a claim their policyholder allegedly didn’t cause.


When the Police Department Fails to Correct an Error in an Accident Report


If the police department refuses to correct the error and a victim needs help proving they were not responsible for causing an accident that has left them injured, they can start by contacting a Grand Rapids, MI accident lawyer. An attorney can gather evidence such as witness statements and medical reports to help prove to the insurer they were not liable for causing the accident.

In addition to helping a driver prove their accident report contains an error, they can also make sure that if a settlement is offered, it is for a fair and reasonable amount. Insurance company adjusters will often try and minimize the value of a claim leaving an accident victim walking away with far less than they should have received. Why? Because insurance companies are businesses, and their goal is to make money.

However, when a victim is represented by a lawyer, they are less likely to be taken advantage of by the insurer or denied benefits they are eligible to receive.


Other Ways a Grand Rapids, MI Accident Lawyer Can Help After a Car Accident


In the event a driver is unable to recover the money they are due for their medical expenses, lost wages, etc., an attorney can help them file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver. Personal injury lawsuits allow for a victim of a car accident to seek compensation from another party for things like:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Mental anguish


If a driver is having difficulty getting the error on their accident report corrected or would like help recovering the maximum amount of compensation they are due for the injuries they suffered in an accident, they can contact Neumann Law Group at (800) 525-6386.


Neumann Law Group is located at:


250 Monroe Ave NW #400

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone: (800) 525-6386