Hillsborough County, FL police brutality attorney

There are several steps you can take if a Hillsborough County, FL police officer physically assaulted you. Speak with a police brutality lawyer to find out what these are.

Although police officers in Hillsborough County, FL are permitted to apply physical force during an altercation or when they encounter a suspect who is noncompliant or they perceive to be a potential threat, they are only expected to apply enough force to regain control over the situation. Although officers generally aren’t held liable when they have to get physical with an individual, should they decide to physically attack, or apply excessive force, to a suspect or even a person of interest beyond what would be considered necessary, they can be recognized for their misconduct. If you or someone you know was assaulted by a police officer in Hillsborough County, FL and you are wondering what forms of action you can take to ensure the officer is held liable for their behavior, consider following these two very important steps.


  1. Report the incident to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s office.


When an individual decides they want to report a case of misconduct to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, they can either contact any on-duty supervisor or file the complaint with the Internal Affairs department. Once the complaint is filed, the  states that an investigation will be conducted to either confirm or deny if the officer engaged in a behavior that would be considered a form of misconduct. The following steps are generally associated with the complaint process:


  1. The complaint is filed, investigated, and a report is prepared.
  2. The report is reviewed, and recommendations are made.
  3. A disposition is reached and would be classified as one of the following:
  • Unfounded, which indicates the incident did not occur or the employee being investigated was not involved.
  • Unsubstantiated, which means there was insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegation.
  • Sustained, which means there was sufficient evidence to support the allegation.
  • Exonerated, meaning the incident occurred, but the employee acted lawfully and properly.
  • Exonerated by Policy Failure, which indicates nopolicy governing the situation exists.


  1. The officer is notified of the disciplinary action that will be taken against him/her given the complaint was legitimate and the investigation revealed that the officer did, in fact, engage in inappropriate behavior.


Aside from filing an assault complaint, a citizen can also file a complaint with the Internal Affairs department for the following acts of misconduct:


  • Rudeness
  • Discourtesy
  • Excessive force
  • Misuse of authority
  • Neglect of duty
  • Harassment
  • Improper personal conduct
  • Any unlawful conduct


  1. Hire a Hillsborough County, FL police brutality attorney.


Hillsborough County, FL police brutality law firms

Need help locating a police brutality attorney in Hillsborough County, FL who can help you file a complaint and even take legal action against an officer? Contact USAttorneys.com today to get connected with some of the best attorneys in the field.

Aside from filing a complaint with the Hillsborough County, FL Sheriff’s office, you are also encouraged to contact a FL police brutality attorney. Not only can they help you become better informed on what your legal rights are, but also ensure that your complaints are handled fairly. There are plenty of instances when individuals are physically assaulted by police officers and after filing a complaint, their claims are either ignored or dismissed.

Now only can a police brutality attorney intervene if this occurs, but they can also share with you other forms of action that can be taken, including filing a claim against the city in an effort to recover compensation for the pain and suffering the officer has caused you to experience. If you or someone you know was assaulted by an officer of the law and you would like to learn more about the benefits of hiring a lawyer whose primary focus is on handling police brutality cases in or near Hillsborough County, FL, contact USAttorneys.com today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *