police brutality lawyers in Suwanee County, FL

If you are suffering from PTSD after your encounter with a Suwannee County, FL police officer, you may be entitled to recover compensation for the mental anguish you are experiencing. You will need to contact a police brutality attorney, however, to find out if you have a viable case.

If a Suwanee County, FL police officer harassed, mistreated, or physically harmed you or a loved one and you are now suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you should consider speaking with a police brutality attorney in Suwannee County, FL who can help you explore what options you have in terms of taking legal action against the officer and/or the department they are employed with. PTSD is a serious issue that shouldn’t be taken lightly, even in its early stages.


Understanding PTSD


When a person experiences something traumatic, such as being unlawfully arrested or physically assaulted by a police officer, it can impact their mental health in various ways. The fact is, we rely on our officers to protect and serve the community, not violate citizen rights and threaten their freedom. When they do, however, it puts individuals in an uncomfortable state of mind as the “protectors” who they have been educated to call upon in the event of an emergency are the ones who are inflicting harm. And because of the increased number of police shootings involving unarmed suspects along with the high number of officer’s engaging in acts of misconduct, especially within the black community, there are now “more incidents of depression, stress, and other mental health issues among blacks” [Source: USA Today].


What are some of the symptoms of PTSD?


Some  a person might experience after being mistreated by an officer of the law include:


  • Having negative thoughts about yourself, other people, or the world. It’s easy to develop a feeling of animosity toward all officers after being harmed by the police. But having to live your life in an area where it is common to see officers of the law on a consistent basis can make it difficult to enjoy life if you are always feeling some sort of negativity toward them.


  • Avoiding places, activities, or people that remind you of the traumatic event. Depending on the degree of PTSD you are suffering from, you might find yourself not wanting to engage in activities you once enjoyed doing as you fear you will run into an officer that will remind you of the horrible experience you went through.


  • Having flashbacks of the encounter you had.


  • Having “recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event.”


  • Experiencing severe emotional and/or physical reactions to things that remind you of the traumatic event.


  • Being easily startled or frightened.


  • Feeling emotionally numb.


  • Feeling detached from family and friends.


  • You begin to develop destructive behavior which might include drinking too much or engaging in other risky behavior.


  • Feeling irritable or angry and having aggressive outbursts.


There are different degrees of PTSD and depending on the type you are suffering from, it might be in your best interest to get yourself to a licensed physician so that you can be evaluated and receive the care and treatment you need to help mend your condition.


police brutality attorneys in Suwanee County, FL

If an officer wrongfully arrested you which has now led to you suffering from PTSD, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your pain and suffering.

Aside from seeking medical attention for your PTSD, you will also want to contact a Suwannee County, FL police brutality attorney who can help you better understand what your legal rights are and how you can exercise them. Whether you developed PTSD as a result of a violent arrest, an unruly encounter with an officer, etc. our FL police misconduct lawyers are here to help you get through this challenging time and provide you with the information you need so that you can make an informed decision on how you want to address the issue.

To get connected with an attorney in your area now, contact USAttorneys.com today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *