Denver woman files police brutality lawsuit

Denver, CO – As the statute of limitations for filing a police brutality lawsuit over the 2020 protests draws to an end, the Denver PD has been hit with another claim. Protester Lindsay Minter filed a lawsuit accusing the Denver police of using a rubber ball-like grenade against her. The incident took place on May 30, 2020, at the height of the George Floyd protests. The woman says the device hit her in the face while she was walking to her car. 

I was hit in the face. It was painful, and I was dazed, and I didn’t know what was going on at first,” Minter said.

According to the lawsuit the Denver police used excessive force against Ms. Minter, a clear violation of the First Amendment, which protects free speech as well as the right of the people to assemble peacefully.

They disrupted my peace that day when my personal space was invaded. My guard wasn’t up, I wasn’t ready to be attacked,” she added.

The statute of limitations for civil rights lawsuits is two years in the state of Colorado, which explains why the past few weeks saw a flurry of lawsuits being filed against Denver law enforcement.

The new lawsuits come a few weeks after a landmark victory for civil rights protesters who were awarded $14 million in damages in a group action against the city of Denver. 

The legal steps to filing a civil rights lawsuit for police brutality

Under Colorado law, a person injured in an action committed by a public employee can recover monetary damages for their suffering.

The first step is to file a Notice of Claim, which is a legal document stating your intention to file a lawsuit. The Notice of Claim must be filed within 182 days from the date of the incident. An experienced Denver police misconduct lawyer can help you formulate your claim. 

The Notice of Claim must contain the following elements:

  • Name and address of the claimant and the name and address of his attorney
  • Concise statement on the nature of the incident – date, time, place, and circumstances of the act
  • Name and address of the public employee involved, if known
  • Statement on the nature and the extent of the injury you have suffered
  • Statement on the amount of monetary damages you’re seeking

Failure to file a Notice of Claim can see your lawsuit dismissed. 

Types of damages you can recover

The role of compensatory damages is to restore the plaintiff to the financial position they were before the incident. 

You can be reimbursed for your medical expenses and your lost wages, but you can also claim non-economic damages for the emotional distress, pain and suffering caused by the injury, loss of enjoyment in life, etc. 

If your lawyers can prove the actions of the police officers’ actions showed “fraud, malice, or willful and wanton conduct”, you can also seek punitive damages. 

If you were recently a victim of any type of police misconduct in Denver, you should contact an experienced civil rights lawyer at the Bryan&Terrill law firm to see how to proceed with your case.

Contact info:

Bryan & Terrill

333 W. Hampden Ave., #420B

Englewood, CO 80110

(720) 923-2333