Reporting sexual abuse by an officer of the Monroe Police Department can be uncomfortable.  Hire an experienced attorney to help you through this event. A formal complaint can be made to the Monroe Police Department, or the Department of Justice and legal claims can be made, but you will need proof of the encounter to win.

Sexual abuse is considered police brutality.

Police Brutality in the form of sexual assault/harassment has increased all over the United States regarding perverse policing activities that have led to settlements for damages costing departments millions of dollars.  If a police officer has engaged in sexual harassment or abuse, under the guise of their professional employment, it is a form of police brutality where civil and criminal legal action may be brought against that officer.

Formal complaint.

If you are concerned about making a citizen complaint to the Monroe Police Department located at 700 Wood Street in Monroe, mailing it in, or phoning the department regarding sexual abuse by an officer, you may also contact the Department of Justice for your district and see if you can file a complaint there.  Sometimes it is easier to hire legal counsel right away to represent you so you do not have to risk interaction with the abuser.  You will need to:

  1. Complete a written complaint and keep a copy of it. If you mail it in, do so via certified mail with proof of receipt.
  2. Outline the sexual misconduct allegation and request a formal investigation.
  3. Make the complaint as soon as, or close to the time the incident occurred so details are sharp.
  4. In the sexual assault allegation, outline any known patterns of perverse behavior.
  5. If there are witnesses to the offense, make sure their account of the incident does not go against yours.
  6. If you have photos of bruises or cuts you sustained due to attack, or body fluids that can be collected as evidence, see a doctor right away to document the assault injuries.
  7. You could send copies to the supervising officer of the abuser, the police chief and the department of internal affairs to make sure the situation does not go unnoticed.
  8. Get a police complaint form from the department website or by having someone go and pick it up.
  9. Sexual harassment is serious police misconduct and violates federal and state laws, polices, procedures, rules and regulations of the department and can result in formal disciplinary action including being fired and/or serving jail time.

Legal recourse.

There are various federal and state laws including the First, Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, Title 6 of the Civil Rights Act, Title 42 United States Code, Americans with Disabilities Act, and Louisiana State Code to name a few, that insure remedy to individuals who have suffered the negative effects of police brutality through sexual assault/harassment.

Contact an attorney.

If you are a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of a Monroe Police Officer, contact an attorney at the Law Firm of Campbell, House & Company for a free evaluation and review of your case to see if you can sue for damages.  Damages may include hospital/medical expenses; past and future permanent disability payments; emotional distress including depression and anxiety; loss of enjoyment of life; pain and suffering; and loss of love and companionship due to your injuries.

Campbell, House & Company, Attorneys at Law

Monroe, LA Office

1815 Roselawn Ave
Monroe, LA 71201

Phone: (318) 855-0285


Shreveport, LA Office

333 Texas St Suite 1300
Shreveport, LA 71101

Phone: (318) 855-0285



0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *