If you feel the treatment you received by an officer employed with the Irvine Police Department was inappropriate and are considering filing a complaint against him or her but aren’t sure how, read on below as the answer to this question is provided for you.


Irvine, CA police brutality attorneys

If you feel an Irvine, CA police officer acted inappropriately toward you, you are permitted to file a complaint with his/her supervisor.

As a citizen living in the state of California, you hold the right to file a complaint or grievance against an Irvine police officer for any improper behavior you may have witnessed or if you were a victim of officer misconduct. Not only will your complaint prompt the department to conduct an investigation to determine whether your allegations are valid, but you also have the right to receive a written copy of the outcome that is reached despite whether there is enough evidence to warrant action. In the event there isn’t, your complaints will still be retained for five years which mean if the department is investigated for corruption, police brutality, etc. within the five years from when you filed your complaint, it will likely be seen and even made public.


How do I file an officer misconduct complaint with the Irvine Police Department?

If you want to recognize an officer in Irvine for his/her behavior, there are multiple ways in which you can file a complaint with the Irvine Police Department. These include:

  • You can go directly to the police department and file your complaint in person between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. on Monday –Thursday and 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. on The address to the department is provided below:


1 Civic Center Plaza

Irvine, CA 92606-5207

Phone: 949-724-7000


  • You can complete the online complaint form by clicking here. You will be asked to provide the following information:


  1. Your name
  2. Address
  3. Phone number
  4. Email address
  5. The date and time the incident occurred.
  6. The location of the incident as well as the name and badge number of the officer you are filing a complaint against.


In the event you wish to keep your personal information private, the department will also accept anonymous complaints.


What will happen once I file my complaint?


Once a complaint is filed, you will receive an acknowledgment letter and an investigation will occur. Your complaint will then be classified as one of the following:

  • Informal Complaint– This is where you, the complaining party, is satisfied with the form of “action that has been taken by a department supervisor [whose] rank is greater than the accused employee.”
  • Formal Complaint –Your complaint is considered to be a formal one if you request that the supervisor continues with the investigation or he/she has determined that further action is warranted. Under certain circumstances will these complaints be forwarded to the department’s Internal Affairs Unit.
  • Incomplete Complaint– If you, the complaining party, “refuses to cooperate or becomes unavailable,” it will be at the discretion of the supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit on how it shall be handled.

After a disposition has been reached, you will be notified of this decision.


Not happy with the outcome?

Looking to obtain justice for the way an Irvine, CA police officer treated you?

police brutality lawyers in Irvine, CA

If you feel an Irvine, CA police officer was not properly reprimanded for their unjust behavior, speak with a CA police brutality attorney to find out what your next steps should be.

If you are dissatisfied with how your complaint was handled or you feel the disciplinary action that was taken against the officer was more of a slap on the wrist than a true punishment, consider contacting an Irvine, CA brutality lawyer who can help you seek the justice you deserve. Whether an officer mistreated you during a routine traffic stop, while making contact with you while you were out walking, or at the time of your arrest, our CA police misconduct lawyers are qualified to help you.

It is always a good idea to hire an Irvine, CA police brutality lawyer, especially if an officer applied excessive force, harassed you, or caused you to suffer a severe injury. So, ifare ready to speak with a CA police brutality attorney, contact USAttorneys.com and let us help you locate a legal expert in your area today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *