police brutality lawyers in San Francisco, CA

If a police officer in San Francisco was discourteous, failed to take action, wrote an inaccurate report, or applied unnecessary force, you should consider filing a complaint against him or her.

If an officer employed by the San Francisco Police Department has acted inappropriately toward you, a relative, or a friend, you are encouraged to file a complaint against that officer so that his/her department is made aware of their behavior. How do you submit a complaint to the San Francisco Police Department to recognize an officer for misconduct? Read on as we outline the steps to successfully do this.

To file a complaint against a police officer in San Francisco for discourteous treatment, failure to take action, inaccurate report writing, an unjustified arrest, applying unnecessary force, or any other wrongful act, you will need to do one of the following:


  1. Fill out the Complaint Form provided by the department. You can access the form now by clicking here. Be sure all the information you provide on the form is accurate so that the department is able to contact you for a follow-up once they review it. Aside from providing basic information such as your name, address, and telephone number, there is also an area where you are given the opportunity to explain what happened.


  1. You also have the option of visiting the Department of Police Accountability which is responsible for handling complaints filed against police officers in San Francisco. The department is located at:

25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70

San Francisco, CA 94102


  1. The third option the department gives you to report an officer for misconduct is to call 415-241-7711 to submit your complaint.


  1. The fourth and final option the department provides to submit your complaint is to mail it to the address indicated above.


What will happen once my complaint is submitted?


Once the Department of Police Accountability receives your complaint, they will investigate the matter to determine if an officer of theirs did, in fact, engage in inappropriate behavior. If the department determines that he/she did, they will likely be reprimanded for their actions. Now, one thing you should know is that filing a complaint against an officer likely won’t lead to them being removed from the force. Unfortunately, police officers are rarely given consequences that are in line with their act of misconduct. In most cases, they may get a slap on the wrist and are then permitted to continue patrolling and performing their duties.


What can I do if I am not satisfied with how the San Francisco Police Department handled my complaint?


police brutality attorneys San Francisco, CA

If you are unhappy with how your misconduct complaint was handled by the department, speak with a police brutality lawyer to find out what your next steps should be.

In the event you feel the complaint you filed against a San Francisco police officer wasn’t handled fairly or wasn’t taken seriously, you can always reach out to a police brutality lawyer. USAttorneys.com can help you locate a police brutality attorney in San Francisco, CA now who will know exactly what steps you will need to take to get the officer recognized for their unwarranted behavior. The CA police brutality attorneys we can place you in touch with all have a great deal of experience in handling various types of cases involving officer misconduct which makes them more than qualified to apply their legal expertise to your matter and help you get it resolved.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *