New Mexico – November 15, 2020
Personal injury attorneys in Albuquerque are a welcome resource to accident victims, or their loved ones who may need guidance to recover resultant damages, especially after fatal injury to a head of household. Legal counsel can work with insurance claims adjusters, or initiate formal legal action after an accident results in personal injury, property damage and/or the loss of life. Injury attorneys have valuable resources to support a case by:
- Sending investigators to the accident scene – An accident scene investigation is conducted to determine the cause or causes of an accident. An accident investigation is usually performed in order to prevent similar accidents in the future, but an investigation may also be conducted during or in preparation for a legal battle in order to determine who was at fault. Accident investigators come from a range of backgrounds and may include forensic scientists, engineers and health and safety advisers.
- Reviewing police reports, witness testimony and medical records – discrepancies in reporting can be decreased, or eliminated when reports, records and testimony are found to contain similar information regarding accident events.
- Hiring appropriate financial personnel to make valuations of loss – these individuals can use current data sets to decipher lost wage determination, and diminished values of property along with case-specific financial questions that will reflect in requested financial award.
- Researching supporting case law – state and federal laws will need to support actions to cure any damages caused by negligent acts, and outline the relevance of insurance laws on damage compensation related to identified fault.
- Supporting victim’s rights against aggressive insurance companies.
- Drafting and filing complicated insurance and legal documents.
An accident attorney will be able to outline the special rules that apply when drivers and passengers are fatally injured in motor vehicle accidents. When local transit is involved, a claim must be sent to the Mayor’s office and must be received within ninety (90) days of when the incident occurred. One of the first criteria reviewed is that the claim was filed within 90 days from the time of the loss. This time frame (with some exceptions) is set by statute, so accident victims typically must file your claim within 90 days in order for it to be considered. An experienced accident lawyer will know if an egregious nature to the accident requires a request for punitive damages.
Insurance and legal counsel.
New Mexico follows the “fault” system with regard to accident insurance, meaning the person who was legally at fault for causing the accident must compensate anyone who was injured, or whose property was damaged. The Law Offices of Brian K. Branch can help navigate insurance interactions and wrongful death claims when personal injury, property damage, or death result from an accident in Albuquerque. They will advise accident victims on relevant time requirements according to New Mexico’s statute of limitations.
The Law Office of Brian K Branch
715 Marquette Ave. NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102
Toll Free: 888.972.1212
New Mexico Statutes 41-2-1
New Mexico Statutes 41-2-3
New Mexico Statutes 41-2-2