Are You the Victim of Excessive or Violent Police Force in Arkansas?

We Can Help You Obtain Superior Legal Counsel

Have you or a loved one been treated with aggressive violence by a police officer in Arkansas? Were you the victim of excessive force during an arrest? Was a loved one shot by an officer, despite being unarmed? If so, you may be able to file a claim with the help of a police brutality lawyer, and we’re here to ensure you obtain the best legal counsel possible. Browse our site to obtain superior legal counsel with an attorney you can trust to represent your interests.

Is My Police Brutality Case Eligible for a Lawsuit?

If you or someone you love was the victim of excessive force, overly aggressive behavior, or any kind of misconduct by a police officer in Arkansas, you may be wondering if you are eligible to file a police brutality lawsuit. In reality, there are many incidents that merit filing a claim. Below are just some of the many types of police misconduct that victims can seek legal help for:

  • Excessive Use of Force: Though there are times when police officers may have to resort to aggressive measures to subdue a suspect, their ability to use force is limited to a reasonable degree – usually only when the suspect poses a viable threat against officers or civilians. If an officer decides to employ overly excessive force when brining someone into custody, such as beating a suspect, using violent tactics even after the individual is restrained, or performing an unnecessary or invasive cavity search, then the individual may be able to file a police brutality claim.
  • Physical Injury to the Suspect: If a police officer uses aggressive measures during an arrest, the victim may have a viable police brutality claim. Injuries can result from tackling a suspect to the ground, while placing handcuffs, and also when police use tasers or guns to shoot a suspect. Tasers are especially harmful, though law enforcement officials might claim otherwise. Several people have been seriously harmed due to taser use. Back in 2011, a mother and her son were walking their dog outside their Arkansas home when a police officer drove by. The boy, only 16 years old, waved at the officer thinking he knew him – something not uncommon in the small town of Dover where they lived. Instead of reciprocating the greeting, the officer stopped, confronted the boy, and accused him of being on drugs. He then ordered the boy, mother, and even the dog to get into the back of his patrol car. After calling for backup, several officers used an extreme and unnecessary amount of force on the boy – who had committed no actual crime. He ended up getting choked, beaten, and was tasered numerous times. As if that wasn’t horrific enough, his mother was dragged on the ground and thrown against a police car. Needless to say, the family filed a police brutality lawsuit and was given $225,000 in a settlement.
  • Deadly Force: Using excessive force violates a civilian’s rights, and victims may be entitled to financial compensation. But when police officers abuse their powers so far as to actually shoot and kill a potential suspect, then the victim’s family has the right to file a case and claim damages for a wrongful death. Drawing a gun should be the last possible measure used by officers when there is absolutely no other way to subdue or restrain a suspect. That being said, the suspect should show that they too have a weapon or demonstrate that they are a threat to the safety of others. If there is no reason to believe that a suspect is dangerous, but officers still use deadly force, families of victims may be able to claim compensation for the wrongful death of their loved one due to police brutality.


Wronged by Police? It’s Time to Seek Justice

Police misconduct and the excessive use of force should not be taken lightly. If you or a family member has experienced any kind of police misconduct, it’s time to seek legal help and justice with the help of an Arkansas police brutality lawyer. Our featured attorneys are ready and waiting to assist you with your case, and will provide a free consultation to discuss your options.